If you have ever sold your home, you know that showings can be a stressful part of the process. Once your house is all staged and pretty, keeping it that way for showings is tough! Luckily, there are some smart shortcuts to make your home look its best as you make your mad dash out the door before a showing is scheduled.
Of course, the toughest thing to do is clean your home! Here are some quick and dirty tips to make your house presentable just before a showing:
- Clear off your counters, then grab a rag and some all-purpose spray and wipe down the surfaces in your kitchen and bathrooms.
- Laundry baskets are your friend! keep a few by the front door and use them to quickly declutter. If you really don’t have time, throw everything in the laundry baskets and stow them in your car. Dirty dishes, kids’ toys, the dog’s bowl, stray papers–put it all in a basket!
Buyers love homes that are light and airy. Brightening things up before a showing is a simple way to add appeal!
- Turn on the lights! Seriously, go around and turn on every light in your house. Even if it’s the middle of the day.
- Let the sunshine in. Open all the curtains and drapes in your house and let in all that lovely sunlight.
- Open the doors. When buyers can see beyond the room they’re in, the home feels more airy.
Odors play a major part of a buyer’s experience of a house. Fortunately, this is another simple thing to fix.
- Avoid overly sweet or cloying scents. Stick with something fresh and light (think citrus or herbal smells).
- An oil diffuser or plug in unit can get a scent into the air more quickly than lighting a candle. Plus, leaving a flame unattended can be dangerous.
- If you’re really in a bind, brew a pot of coffee! The smell circulates quickly and creates a nice cozy feeling.